Equilibrium innovates and manages sustainability-driven real asset investment strategies and products for
Sustainability is the strategic long-term management of resources. We believe sustainability drives
economic value, portfolio advantage and alpha returns and intentional positive impact on our environment
and community. Each of our real assets investment strategies and portfolios builds on these macro-trends
and economic advantages.
We build proprietary Equilibrium real asset strategies in three sectors:
- Agriculture and Food
- Renewable Resources
- Sustainable Real Estate
Our objective is to deliver institutional quality returns and sustainable alpha through our investment
manager-operator portfolio teams. We construct teams to combine the asset management capability of
sophisticated investment managers with the on-the-ground experience of world-class operators. We believe
long term, the investment manager-operator teaming, in real assets, delivers both superior risk
management and returns.
Equilibrium is organized around four functions:
- Innovate unique investment products.
- Manage and operate portfolios of productive real assets.
- Administer and structure our portfolio to deliver transparency and value.
- Raise and scale capital from institutional investors.
With offices in San Francisco, Portland, London, and Singapore, we are able to serve our investors, globally.
SCOPE OF POSITION
Reporting to the Tax Director, we are looking for a Tax Senior to be responsible for supporting tax
compliance filings and coordination, planning and analysis activities, researching complex tax matters and
assisting with international tax matters for EQ’s corporate entities, pooled investment vehicles and related
tax structuring entities. As the Tax Senior you will support the growth of the firm and will have the opportunity
to work with members of the firm’s finance, accounting and deal teams assisting the tax compliance
This is a position that has come at an inflexion point for Equilibrium as the company experiences rapid
growth, increased throughput, and is maturing as an organization. Equilibrium is focused on operational
success through the appropriate people, structure, and systems that will enable us to scale rapidly.
Responsible for assisting with timely compliance with all aspects of federal, state and local,
- franchise, FATCA/CRS reporting, and other taxes, including estimates, tax returns, projections,
- etc. for multiple partnerships/LLCs
- Participate in tax compliance process with external tax advisors and maximize efficient use of
- third-party tax preparers for consultation on tax issues and preparation of tax returns
- Perform technical review of numerous federal/state partnership returns, including Schedule K-1
- packages issued to partners, tax allocations, and book to tax adjustments
- Prepare and/or review complex workpapers and tax calculations across multiple tiered
- partnership structures, including state apportionment/allocation, tax provisions, nonresident
- withholding, partner allocations, and project sale transactions
- Maintain a sound understanding of various partnership and LLC agreements in order to ensure
- tax returns are filed in accordance with the entity agreement
- Ensure all entities maintain good standing with appropriate state business agencies through
- annual or biennial report filings
- Perform research to support state and local filing requirements, complete and maintain
- registrations, and respond to any notices thereof
- Coordination and support of property tax and sales and use tax filings
- Preparation of quarterly estimated tax payments
- Assist in preparing tax-related communications
- Tax planning for management companies
- Oversee timely and accurate annual and ad hoc tax payments
- Other tax projects as requested
Qualifications / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting; CPA highly preferred
- Experience in tax compliance related to tiered partnership, corporations and specifically state and
- local tax compliance preferred
- Comprehensive understanding of partnership basis issues, including IRC §734(b) and §743(b)
- adjustments and §754 elections
- In-depth knowledge of Sec. 704(b) allocations, profitability modeling, navigating state and local
- tax matters
- Familiarity with REIT taxation and testing a plus
- Good technology skills with proficiency in Excel
- Established track record of driving continuous process improvement