Associate/Sr. Associate Equilibrium Water & Waste Team
Equilibrium is a global leader in sustainability-driven real asset management. The firm builds and manages institutional-grade investment vehicles that generate returns from the long-term productive use of energy, water, real estate, and food and agriculture assets. Equilibrium was founded in 2008 and currently has accumulated over $1 billion in assets on the platform.
We deliver returns to our investors by identifying attractive long-term opportunities and developing innovative business models driven by market inefficiencies, compliance obligations and sustainability trends. In addition to delivering financial returns to our investors, all of our investment strategies contribute measurably to positive environmental and social outcomes.
Equilibrium’s Water and Waste team launched the Wastewater Opportunity Fund to provide project-level equity financing to develop, design, build and operate distributed wastewater facilities. Initially, the fund’s projects target the agricultural waste, industrial food waste and municipal wastewater sectors where revenues are generated from renewable electricity, renewable fuel, waste processing and nutrient sales. The team is expanding to build a $1 billion portfolio of water and waste assets over the next several years.
- Coordinate the investment underwriting and due diligence process working with senior investment and technical team members. Identify gaps and manage the completion of due diligence request lists and templates, working with project development partners in a timely manner. Work to streamline the investment processes.
- Working with other team members, review various legal and project due diligence documents to ensure underwriting standards are followed, risks are appropriately mitigated, and IC requirements are met.
- Gather expense and revenue details and input the data into financial models. Stress-test the financial models under various scenarios and work to prepare the investments to receive reasonable levels of debt leverage.
- Analyze potential investments with regard to their ability to deliver risk-adjusted returns within the projected timeline, and develop risk mitigation strategies.
- Prepare detailed, timely and accurate investment memos and presentations for assessment by the Fund’s Investment Committee (IC).
- Assist the investment team leader to manage a timely and accurate transaction closing process.
- Assist the construction and operations team leaders to manage timely reporting and processes. As necessary, assemble and write draft reports as required by the fund’s reporting requirements to investors.
- Organize all electronic and written documents and files (i.e. Dropbox) for the underwriting and due diligence processes, debt leverage and asset management through the lifecycle of investments.
- Ad hoc projects that may include but are not limited to research, fund level analysis, white papers, etc.
- A minimum of four to eight years of professional experience in roles that required strong analytical and problem-solving skills, preferably in a financial or investment context. Working knowledge of and experience with financial underwriting, transaction structuring and due diligence processes.
- A minimum of three years of financial modeling experience or the ability to demonstrate modeling proficiency at this level.
- Proficiency in generating written materials, including investment related documentation.
- Extremely well organized, highly motivated and detail oriented with the ability to multi-task particularly to simultaneously manage multiple projects through complex investment underwriting and due diligence processes.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain strong relationships both internally and externally, working in a cross-functional small team environment. Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A passion for sustainable investing and asset management. Team-oriented with openness and flexibility to shift roles and grow over time, moving from investment transactions to operational asset management.
- Must possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with a preference for candidates with a Master’s degree in finance, business or equivalent major.
- Excited about working and living in Portland, Oregon with the ability to travel frequently as needed perhaps 25% of the time.
- Experience in water, wastewater, waste management, renewable energy, real estate, project financing, or debt financing is strongly preferred.
Competitive compensation will include a base salary with a potential performance-based bonus and standard benefits that will be commensurate with experience